It’s the bank holiday weekend and so we’re celebrating with an amazing series of events to make life even more amazing! You can join for one, two, or all three of the weekend’s activities:
|Body Zen Practical Workshop
1-5pm, Saturday, 26 August
Learn from Tim Van Der Vliet - Hay House author, speaker, and spiritual teacher - the Body Zen approach to changing your metabolism, giving you more physical and emotional resilience, healthier weight, and a better looking body.
|Superfoods Supper Club
6:30pm onwards, Saturday, 26 August
A raw food party with mouth watering, nourishing treats, socialising, entertainment, and a fascinating presentation from Kate Strong, vegan world champion triathlete.
|Wim Hof Method Practical Workshop
9:30am - 5:30pm, Sunday, 27 August
We explore the scientifically based Wim Hof Method and learn the body control techniques that turned Wim Hof into ‘the iceman’. You will learn more about and experience the three components: breathing techniques, mindset, and (optional) ice cold immersion.
1pm – 5pm, Saturday, 26 August – Highbury
Tim van der Vliet
Body Zen is a holistic detox method that uses very simple tools and exercises to increase your energy and your release of happy hormones in just a few minutes a day. Side effects are better health and dropping excess weight. It is possible to change your metabolism and even become physically younger in time.
“I noticed the following changes… 7 hours sleep instead of 8 are suddenly sufficient. I get easily out of bed in the morning, while before I hardly woke up. I feel more energized during the day, physically and mentally. Lower backpain is almost gone. Looking forward to more changes 👍🏻😊”
– Claire Horlent
What can Body Zen do for you?
- Body Zen is about optimising your metabolism giveing you more physical and emotional resilience plus a healthier weight and better looking body.
- Body Zen takes between 2 minutes (at the start) to 10 minutes a day (after 3 months).
- Body Zen focuses not only on your nutrition pattern (from the outside to the inside) but also on other methods like a the Wim Hof Method breathing exercise to alkalize your body (from the inside out).
- Tools that you can use through the day, wherever you are.
- Simple yoga style exercise suitable for everybody.
- Ways to find silence even without calling it a meditation.
- The right mindset to not feel guilty anymore whenever you put bad things in your body.
- You will detox naturally and you don’t have to worry about the “retox”. In other words you live healthy and there is space for some naughtiness in your life.
- Through Body Zen you may not become sick anymore.
- Body Zen is a way of releasing more happiness hormones in your body, making you a happier person.
- Body Zen makes you more energetic and may give you childish energy. Don’t worry be happy!
- A way to influence your immune system and your hormonal system.
- Scientific proof where available and clearly stated where not yet scientifically proven.
“I love Tim and his teachings. His energy is infectious and beautiful! ❤️”
– Myra Forrester
Body Zen focuses on three pillars for more energy, happiness, and better health:
The Energy Exercises pillar consists of simple yoga, Qigong, and Tim’s own exercises learned during his last 10 years of lifestyle changes. Breathing methods are added to clean up blockages, increase oxygen uptake, and alkalise your body. With just simple breathing methods and light exercise your life can change completely!
The Nutrition pillar is based on the Blue Zones, those areas of the world where people live longest, as well as Tim’s own experience including traveling to Japan 20 times. The Blue Zones are five areas in the world where people become of off the record old. Longevity is within everybody’s reach. Add to this Tim’s ‘holy trinity’ of superfoods that don’t cost a lot of money.
The Mindset pillar is based on what Tim calls the ‘Power of Paradox’, which is about accepting life for what it is, being humble, and thinking big at the same time. Tim’s detox-retox principle will probably make you smile and happy at the same time. You may give up your feeling of guilt forever.
“The Body Zen workshop with Tim was great, interesting and informative. After only one day of starting the Body Zen training, by incorporating only the standing posture, arm twist and Wim Hof breathing, I already feel more energised and focused. I already eat fairly cleanly! But my body has started ‘clearing’ out, what an amazingly easy way to get back in flow with the Universe! Am really looking forward to building up to incorporate all parts of the Body Zen practice into my life. Thank you Tim 😊”
– Tracey Harley
13.00 – 13.30 Welcome and intro
13.30 – 14.00 3 pillars and 3 benefits
14.90 – 15.30 Physical energy and breathing exercises and Qigong.
15.30-15.45 Short break
15.45 – 17.00 Nutrition and Mindset
If you learn to use your body properly you will become more energetic, happier and healthier. Body Zen is a simple and effective way to change your metabolism and to physically even become younger in time. Dropping (or gaining) weight is just a positive side effect of Body Zen.
6:30pm onwards, Saturday, 26 August – Highbury
Speaker: Kate Strong. Catering: Corina Boho
We’ll hear from Kate Strong, vegan, World Champion triathlete, World Record holder in cycling, TEDx speaker, award-winning entrepreneur, author, engineer and linguist. Kate graduated with a Double Masters in Mechanical Engineering in French and English then chose to step away from ‘society’s tick-list lifestyle’ and create a life that would keep her thriving, not just existing. From hiking some of the highest volcanoes in Central America to diving in the underground rivers of Mexico, Kate’s lived life to the maximum. (bio here)
Join Kate as she shares what caused a Welsh girl from a farming background to switch to a whole-food and plant-based diet. Learn how by applying her engineering background, this switch is based on science: forming the right choice for her own health, the planet, and all that reside within. Following science and also her heart, she puts her becoming age-group World Champion in triathlon down to her nutrition. Today, she still follows a vegan lifestyle and is a Business Coach empowering entrepreneurs to create profitable and ethical businesses.
We’ll share an amazing superfoods meal catered by the talented Corina Boho, certified nutritionist and educator, yoga teacher, lifestyle & holistic health coach, vegan & raw vegan chef, founder of Vida Boho. Corina’s main focus is on the importance of consuming food that releases energy for us to use, making us feel energetic and vibrant, instead of food that takes energy from us, resulting in us feeling tired and sluggish. (bio here)
- Raw Thai Green Curry with Baobab and Supergreens (garden peas, baby corn, radish, cashew nuts, red pepper, cucumber, celery, pear, lime, coconut milk, lemongrass, spring onion, basil, coriander, green chilli, ginger, garlic, mixed sprouts, baobab, supergreens)
- Raw Vegan Madras Curry with Baobab & Peach (courgette, curry powder, onion, peach, dried apricot, radish, red pepper, spring onion, chestnut mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, baby corn, garden peas, mixed sprouts, pink Himalayan salt, black pepper, baobab)
- Raw vegan portobello & walnut burgers on a colourful bed of leaves (walnuts, dates, portobello mushrooms, coriander, jalapeños, shallots, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, mustard, nutritional yeast, tamari, baby kale, red cabbage, mixed sprouts, black pepper)
- Raw Beet Ravioli with Nut Meat filling (pecans, sunflower seeds, turmeric, cumin, chilli, tamari, coconut oil, garlic, cauliflower, nutritional yeast, lemon, thyme, beetroot, black pepper, pink Himalayan salt)
- Raw Beet ravioli with nut free pesto (avocado, spinach, basil, oats, lemon, cumin, coconut oil, garlic, cauliflower, nutritional yeast, thyme, beetroot, spring onions, black olives, dill, black pepper, pink Himalayan salt)
- Raw vegan mini pizza sausages on caulimash with fragrant herbs (sunflower seeds, sundried tomatoes, onion, nutritional yeast, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, oregano, garlic, black olives, cauliflower, cashew nuts, olive oil, white miso, tamari, coconut oil, sesame oil, agave, baby kale, red cabbage, dill, black pepper, pink Himalayan salt)
- Raw Apple pie with caramel sauce (dates, figs, apples, cinnamon)
- Stracciatella Slice with chocolate drizzle (cashew nuts, coconut oil, cacao butter, fruit syrup, vanilla, coconut cream, lemon juice, golden raisins, raw cacao nibs, dates, almonds, pumpkin seeds, raw cacao powder, mixed spice)
- Nutcrafter treenut cheeseboard selection with dried fruit, and raw chocolate
- Excalibur Cherry Lapsang Kombucha (lapsang souchong, green tea, chamomile, lavender, guayusa, evaporated cane sugar, cherry juice, liquid stevia extract, kombucha cultures)
- Excalibur Hibiscus Jun Elixir (hibiscus flowers, yerba mate, borage, horsetail filtered vorticular water, raw honey, jun cultures)
- Excalibur Sarsaparilla Jun Elixir (sarsaparilla, birch bark, sassafras, rhodiola rosea, rehmannia, yerba mate, hawthorn leaf, filtered vorticular water, raw honey, jun cultures)
- Excalibur Wild Floral Jun Elixir (elderflower, heather flower, sacred lotus, guayusa, yerba mate, sage, lapsang souchong, filtered vorticular water, raw honey, jun cultures)
Screenworks, 22 Highbury Grove
Highbury, N5 2EF
How to get there: It’s just a 10 minute walk from Highbury & Islington station. There is secure bicycle parking. Street parking is available in the neighbouring streets.
The Wim Hof Method delivers better health, more energy and happiness hormones, plus better focus from three pillars:
- Breathing Method
- Mindset training
- Cold Training (cold shower or ice bath immersion)
During this workshop, Wim Hof instructor Tim van der Vliet will take you into the Wim Hof Method leading you through the breathing exercises and mindset/focus that allow you to experience the cold exposure and have a mind blowing and transformational experience.
It’s Tim’s goal to give you tools to improve your energy level, get your body strong and flexible, and enable your mind to concentrate in a more focused manner. This awareness improves the balance between body and mind. You will learn multiple tools including breathing, physical movement, focus, mental strength training, and (optional) cold training including a full immersion ice bath. Get inspired and learn new things during this intense event!
Tim van der Vliet is a trained Wim Hof Method instructor, a father of four who is happily married to his Japanese wife Miho for seventeen years. He’s an author under Hay House Publishers, and Bruna and Water, he loves yoga and getting around on his bike in his home of Amsterdam.
Backed by science
The Wim Hof Method has been researched by five hospitals globally and is backed by science. Here is a video on the science and the physiology (what happens in your body) of the method.
9.30 – 10.00 Welcome & Introductions
10.00 – 11.30 Theory & Breathing Exercise
11.30 – 12.30 Break
12.30 – 13.30 Physical Exercises
13.30 – 14.30 Cold Therapy
14.30 – 15.30 Ice Bath
15.30 – 16.30 Sharing & Q/A
After this workshop you will be able to practice the method yourself!
Join us for a full day of learning the Wim Hof Method, culminating in an (optional) ice bath!
Tim is a Hay House author, speaker, and spiritual teacher, as well as being a certified Wim Hof Method instructor, who joins us from The Netherlands for the weekend to lead Body Zen programme and the Wim Hof Method day.
Tim’s mission is to help you become more free. Freedom comes in four stages. Mental, physical, financial and spiritual freedom. He calls it Zen from Amsterdam. Zen is a word used in Amsterdam when everything is just right, even if it is just for a moment. What is Zen from Amsterdam and what can you get out of it? Simply put, Zen from Amsterdam is your way to freedom, a healthy body, abundance and becoming happier.
How do you get more freedom? How do you get a healthy body? How do you become happy? It all starts with creating and following your own rule-book. If you want to follow your intuition there are no other rules to live by but your own. Tim will teach you how to get to know your own rules.
Formerly Tim was trader in the financial world and learnt many lessons about himself during that time. It may sound like a paradox but a good trader is free in their head. He learnt how to incorporate following his heart into daily life and having more than enough to raise four children and have time to help them with their homework (and do fun stuff for himself!).
Tim makes philosophy easier to understand and use in everyday life, coming across life lessons in seemingly very normal things like table tennis, football, the financial world, mathematics and of course the neighbour’s dog.
Kate is a World Champion triathlete, World Record holder in cycling, TEDx speaker, award-winning entrepreneur, author, engineer and linguist. She graduated with a Double Masters in Mechanical Engineering in French and English then chose to step away from ‘society’s tick-list lifestyle’ and create a life that would keep her thriving, not just existing. From hiking some of the highest volcanoes in Central America to diving in the underground rivers of Mexico, Kate’s lived life to the maximum.
Far too many people are living below their potential, in a state of discomfort; living for Friday afternoon and the next paycheque. Life doesn’t have to be like this: Live unreasonably and live with meaning! Kate’s mission is enable every person in thriving while living their life – to create an environment that is optimal for their own mental, physical and psychological health and to live a life of passion!
Certified nutritionist and educator, yoga teacher, lifestyle & holistic health coach, vegan & raw vegan chef, founder of Vida Boho.
Corina’s main focus is on the importance of consuming food that releases energy for us to use, making us feel energetic and vibrant, instead of food that takes energy from us, resulting in us feeling tired and sluggish. Following this same principle, she has created four delightful raw vegan menus to choose from that will awaken our tastebuds and leave us feeling nurtured and full of life.
Eating to thrive is surprisingly easy and delicious when we delete our conditioned beliefs about food and learn how to combine ingredients that go from the earth straight to our plate. Corina calls this “re-discovering our modern nature” and is passionate about educating others to see, feel, taste and understand this beauty and to allow our blindfold to drop, discovering and unlocking all those little pleasures of life that bring us closer to who nature intends us to be.
The food we choose to eat can determine how we feel, how we react, how much we get done in a day and can also influence our mood. This is where the power of micronutrients play an important role in our daily life. Combining these commonly overlooked elements with the right lifestyle for our body and mind can make the difference between thriving and surviving.